Baguio Trip Day 1

I know that this isn’t one of my usual posts, because it isn’t about Minecraft or cats, but I still want to blog about a very memorable journey my family and I went on. Since this is going to be a very long post if I tell my story in one go, I’ll be separating it into parts. This will be part one.


On January 2 to 4, 2015, my family went on a very special trip. This trip is my very first trip to Baguio City! I was very excited to go, seeing as Baguio is one of the coldest places in the Philippines and I’ve always loved the cold.

My mom and I joined my uncle, aunt, cousins, and grandparents on the six-hour trip to Baguio. When we finally started the climb to the city, I was surprised by how long, steep, and winding the road was. It seemed to alternate between going uphill and downhill, much like a very long roller coaster. Soon the road only went uphill and we were amazed by the view we saw.

The mountains that from afar looked like big masses of land were covered in a forest of trees. They appeared to blend perfectly with each other, creating a beautiful mountain range. I didn’t think I had ever seen that many trees all in one place. The pale blue sky was cloudless save for a single white cloud that seemed to make a border between the mountains and the sky.

We continued climbing what seemed like the highest mountain of all and started to see clusters of buildings on the mountain next to us. Before long we caught sight of a mass of buildings that stood out against the green trees. The mass that was Baguio City looked like it was embedded in the mountainside. After all the hours spent in the van, we were finally close to our destination.

Baguio City was just like a normal city, if you took away all its winding roads. Another thing that made it unique – and the thing that I had been looking forward to – was the cold. Once we stepped outside the van in front of the lodge where we would be staying, I felt the thrill of being in the cold air. Mom was right – it was like being in an air-conditioned room.

Even though the rest of my family was wrapped up in their jackets, I was fine in just my long-sleeved shirt. I did, though, taste some hot chocolate in the restaurant where we ate lunch. Even though my mom had warned me that it would be bittersweet, I was surprised by how bitter it was. Even with melted marshmallows, it wasn’t sweet enough for my liking.

After lunch, we paid a visit to the BenCab museum. The three-story building even had a cafe, a backyard garden, and a pond. I especially liked the pond, with a nipa hut in its center, because of the many koi fish you could see swimming around. The museum itself had many paintings and sculptures, most of which were made out of wood. There were many little wooden statues of men called bululs of different sizes. I was also fond of two cat sculptures, both made by people my mom knew.

BenCab Front

BenCab Front

BenCab (from back)

BenCab Back


BenCab Garden

BenCab Garden

Bulul Wall

Wall of Bululs

Cat Sculpture

Cat Sculpture

Picasso Cat

Picasso Cat

There were also many paintings, a couple of which were made by an artist my aunt knew personally. There was also a separate room labelled “Maestro” filled with paintings made by known artists. I preferred the paintings by the other artists that weren’t part of the maestro collection, though. In addition to these, there were several woven bags and baskets used by the natives of Cordillera.

After our visit to the museum, we were finally able to rest in our hotel rooms. My mom and I had our own little room with two beds, each with its own orange comforter. I thought that the night wouldn’t be that cold and I probably wouldn’t need a comforter, but even in the middle of the afternoon I was able to fall asleep under one.

For dinner we went to a pizza place near the hotel. Since the waitress serving us said that the food would arrive in thirty minutes, my mom and I visited Wright Park, which was right across the street.

The reason I wanted to go to Wright Park was because of the many, many horses. There was a shallow but wide pit where several horses would wait to be ridden by any visitors. A few horses were already trotting around with riders. Aside from the ones in the pit, there were also numerous horses on street level being led by people who would ask us if we wanted to ride. There were even some white horses with their manes dyed pink and a tiny horse that was less than half my height!

I wasn’t interested in horseback riding, though. What I wanted was to be able to be with the horses and pet them. I got my wish – I was allowed to stroke the horses’ manes and heads. Each horse was unique – some had very soft fur while some had rough fur, some had coarse manes while some had fluffier manes, some were very tall while some were short.

Once we got back to the hotel, we prepared for our first night’s stay. We were worried at first because the bathroom didn’t seem to have hot water. The water that came out of the tap with a red stripe was cold. We found out that you just had to let the water run until it became warm. It was a relief when we finally had hot water to warm ourselves up with. Mom told me that the night would be very cold, so aside from the comforter I used a yellow fleece blanket I had brought along with me. However, I woke up once or twice feeling hot. When I took the comforter off, it became too chilly. I ended up just sleeping in the same bed as Mom under the same comforter.

Hotel at Camp John Hay

Hotel at Camp John Hay

So this concludes part one of my Baguio Trip blog. I’ll be posting the next part soon.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s